Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Human Powered Trail Work

Update: I got a new Axe with a stronger handle.  Now nothing is safe.

Now all of Boa is cleared, and thanks to Ward, Jackie, and Captain, Palisades is done as well.  That leaves Randy's, Wold's, Backside, Back Bone and Rattle Snake.

P.S.  If you would like a DHPT hat for 2011 - e-mail Trevor ASAP.  Pre-Orders are due Friday.


P.S.S  Time Trials Registration must be Postmarked by this Friday.




Ah Yes, Temps are up and Trees are down.  The snow is gone but there's mud all around.  I decided I didn't really feel like riding yesterday, being a Monday and all; but I really didn't feel like running either.  I wanted to work out, and already hit the gym in the a.m., so I figured I'd go get a different kind of trail work out.

Don't get me wrong, I think chainsaws are cute and all, but sometime I just like getting dirty and working with my hands.  I'm not saying that I'm cooler than Chainsaw Jeff O'Gara (not that I'd need to say it anyway) but once in a while I get an urge to pay homage to my Berserker Viking ancestry and destroy downed trees and branches with a good ol' ax and hand saw.  Just so happens I broke my ax (that's a story for another time), and I left the Pugsley World Championship Trophy at home, so I relied on my trusty bow saw to do some trail clearing.



A Chain saw is a great tool and necessary at times (like after the flood of 2008), but they are also heavy, cumbersome, non human powered, and kind of scary (I'll get some $h*! for admitting that last one).  Fact is, a lot of the downed trees and stuff can be cleaned up with simpler tools, a little bit of time, and some good old fashioned elbow grease.  As soon as I figure out how to saw with my left hand just as good as my right, we'll really be in business.

Lower Mother's Day and Upper Boa are done.

P.S.  Time Trials Registration must be Postmarked by this Friday.

1 comment:

T-Rock said...

Thanks Spinner and Jeff for getting out and clearing some of the trails. Love to help if had the time but glad you two gave up some of yours to clear!!