Decorah Human Powered Trails
Cooper’s Pub/The Oaks
Monday, April 1, 2013
7:00 p.m. Call to Order by VP Lee Hackman
Roll Call: Kirk Johnson, Lee Hackman, Eric Sovern, Jeff O’Gara, Lars Hovden, Doug Osborn, Richard Gosen
$3,006.82 in Judy’s Park and Rec DHPT Account (no change from last month)
$881.03 in the checkbook.
Minutes from the Last Meeting
Reports of Officers, and Committees
1. Iowa Bike Coalition Meeting (Nothing new)
2. Trail Clarity and Signage (continued discussion)
General consensus reached to NOT place more maps in key areas on the trails. Remove map holders at trail kiosks and put the map website URLs there prominently. The main rationale for not putting up more maps is “Where does it end?” We have marked all the major intersections and put up four large kiosks, and maps are available on smartphone apps and on the internet. It was suggested that we mark a couple of routes (one long and one short) with colored dots on the trail markers.
4. Updated e-mail list.
Lars is working on this.
5. Fundraising/Sponsorships for 2013
Fundraising letters are out to past sponsors. Follow-up will commence shortly.
1. Trail work for 2013
There are several trees down on the new “Beginner Trail” on the River Trail. Trails will need raking before the Time Trials in a few weeks. We will schedule a trail workday at the appropriate time when the trails are dry enough. Members are asked to watch for the e-mail when it is finally dry enough to get out for a big day. There was some discussion on the Right of Way construction/damage on The Luge. We will need to wait to see what REC has in mind to possibly restore the landscape when they are done with their line work.
2. Time Trials (update)
3. Chainsaw Safety Equipment. Voted unanimously to purchase two sets of safety wear to go along with the clubs two chainsaws. Two uni-fit helmets with ear/noise protection and screen faceguards; two sets of safety chaps (one Size L, and the other size M), and two pairs of safety (anti-vibration) gloves (one pair Med. One pair Large) have been ordered along with various other supplies for the saws and the weed whippers. Everything should be in early next week.
4. Other Items: Andy Nimrod / Park and Rec. inquired about our interest to lead some kids’ recreational mountain biking classes for 5 weeks this summer. All agreed that we would like to help and that a mid-morning time during the week one day per week for 5 weeks (one hour or so per session) would probably work for those members who can get away from their work for a short time on weekdays.
*1st Monday of each month is DHPT Meeting Night.
*2nd Tuesday of each month is TT or Enduro. (as long as the weather permits!)
*4th Wednesday of each month is TT or Enduro. (as long as the weather permits!)
Saturday, April 27, 2013 --- Decorah Time Trials
Start Race at 2:00 p.m. Done by 6:00 p.m. Sunday will be a fun club ride day for anyone staying over after Saturday’s race.
Friday, June 21-Sunday, June 23, 2013 --- Dirt Burger